Commercial roller doors and roller shutters are constantly exposed to the elements. Wind, rain, dust and dirt can impact the look of your shutters as well as their operation, so it’s important to keep them clean and free of dirt and debris. A commercial roller door is quite low maintenance when it comes to cleaning so the process is quick and easy. At Cowan Doors, we have over 20 years’ experience providing specialised services for industrial, commercial, automatic and auto access doors for businesses across Melbourne. Here’s a simple guide to keeping your commercial roller shutters clean to ensure smooth operation for longer.
Cleaning Equipment Required
To clean your commercial roller shutters all you need is a soft cloth or sponge, a soft-bristled brush, mild detergent such as dishwashing liquid and a bucket of warm water.
Cleaning the Outside of Roller Shutters
- Ensure your commercial roller shutters are pulled all the way down.
- Using a soft-bristled brush, brush out the ventilation holes and then brush away any debris from the surface. You may need to use an extension pole to reach up high.
- Spray the shutters with a hose, ensuring the water pressure isn’t too high. Do not use a high pressure cleaner.
- Wash your roller shutters using a sponge and a mild detergent in warm water ensuring you pay close attention to the hard to reach spots and along the guides – these spots are where most of the dirt will build up.
- For built-up grime, dip your soft-bristled brush in the warm, soapy water. With the shutters fully closed, gently wipe them in an up and down motion.
- Using a hose, rinse with clean water.
- It’s a good idea to dry them with a soft cloth. Be sure to use the up and down motion so the slats stay in the proper alignment.
Cleaning Between the Guides of the Roller Shutters
- First raise your roller shutter, ensuring it is completely open.
- Gently wipe away the dirt and dust from inside the guide with a soft bristled brush. You can also clean the guides by spraying them with running water from a hose, making sure the water pressure isn’t too high. Again, do not use a high-pressure cleaner.
- Allow the guides to dry completely before you close your shutters.
Useful Cleaning Tips
- Aim to clean your commercial roller shutters every couple of months to keep them in proper working order. This may be required more frequently if you are located in a dusty or highly industrial area.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners, solvents or methylated spirits, and avoid scrubbing brushes or scrapers, as these could potentially damage the surface.
- When rinsing, avoid spraying water into the electrics as this can damage the motor.
What Can Happen If Roller Shutters Aren’t Cleaned Regularly?
Commercial shutters can become covered in dirt and dust quickly and this can cause mechanisms to seize up and become jammed. The result could be a commercial roller door that does not function properly, or worse, does not function at all and requires expensive repairs.
Need a Service for Your Commercial Roller Shutter? Melbourne Businesses Rely on Cowan Doors
If you need more advice on cleaning and maintaining your shutters or if you require servicing or repairs, then get in touch with us today. Our technicians provide an exceptional level of service and will help with any issues you have regarding your commercial doors. For more information, contact us online or give our friendly team a call today on (03) 8586 1188 .