Many Australian businesses rely on roller shutters for high quality protection, however, over time roller shutters will be subject to wear and tear through exposure to the elements and general usage. A build-up of dirt and dust on your commercial shutters not only detracts from the professional image of your business, it can disrupt the smooth operation and damage vital components. Cowan Doors is Melbourne’s largest industrial door servicing company, we can provide routine maintenance and servicing as well as repairs for existing roller shutters. Read on for our easy guide to keeping your commercial roller shutters clean.
Why is it Important to Keep Commercial Roller Shutters Clean?
Keeping roller shutters clean not only adds to the visual appeal of a commercial premises, it also ensures consistent, reliable and smooth operation. Even though commercial shutters are strong, durable and relatively low-maintenance, they do require a little care to ensure they consistently perform as they should.
What May Happen If Roller Shutters Aren’t Cleaned Regularly?
Like all exterior surfaces, roller shutters are continually exposed to wind and rain can quickly become covered in dirt and dust, this can cause the mechanisms to seize up and become jammed. Excess dirt on the surface of the shutter can also result in the slats becoming scratched. Lack of cleaning can result in an unprofessional appearance and may cause an operational breakdown resulting in a major inconvenience and expensive repair costs.
Cleaning Roller Shutters
Excess dirt and dust can be highly damaging, fortunately it’s a simple process to keep commercial roller shutters clean.
- With the shutters slightly open, use a soft bristled brush to clear out ventilation holes and sweep away debris from the surface.
- Hose shutters down, ensure the water pressure isn’t too high.
- Using a sponge and a mild detergent, wash the shutters all over, paying close attention to the hard to reach spots between the slats and along the guides.
- With the shutters in the closed position, gently wipe them in an up and down motion with a soft bristled brush.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Dry shutters with a soft cloth. Again, use an up and down motion so the slats remain properly aligned.
- Finally, clean between the guides of the roller shutters. Raise the shutters so they are fully open and gently wipe away the dirt and dust from inside the guide with your soft bristled brush or running water at low pressure.
- Allow the guides to dry completely before closing the commercial roller shutters.
Things to Remember:
- Commercial roller shutters should be cleaned around 3 times per year to keep them in proper working order.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners or solvents and avoid steel wool, scrubbing brushes or scrapers, as these could damage the surface.
- Greasing the bearings once a year will ensure that the rolling mechanism continues to operate smoothly
- Lubricating the guide rails should also be done yearly for continued ease of opening and closing.
To ensure the maximum life out of your commercial roller shutters, get in touch with Cowan Doors today. We have over 20 years’ experience delivering high quality industrial door servicing, repairs and maintenance to businesses throughout Melbourne and regional Victoria. We can tailor a customised routine maintenance contract to suit your individual needs, door operating cycles and budget. We also provide a 24-hour emergency breakdown service to secure your premises and carry out emergency repairs. Contact us online today or give our friendly team a call on (03) 9587 8750.